I love making handmade gifts for Christmas, but this year Christmas has really taken me by surprise! I know that sounds crazy, but November seemed to pass me by and suddenly I find myself with only a few days left to sort out last minute gifts. Ages ago I decided that I’d have a go at making some peppermint creams, as I used to make them with my Mum when I was little and I thought that they would make a nice handmade present. Easy peasy…or so I thought! Don’t be fooled by the first photo in this post. The correct title for this post should be ‘Peppermint creams: epic fail’ – that would sum it up a little better!
I found this recipe on the BBC website and it’s really easy to follow (and it does taste really good!). The problem was that for some reason, my mixture was really sticky and squishy! I tried chilling it in the fridge before I rolled it out and that didn’t work out.
The picture at the top of this post shows the only cream that I successfully cut out. After many attempts I decided that I’d just make balls!
Needless to say, I won’t be giving these as presents! I’m determined to get them right at some point though, so if you do have any tips they would be gratefully received 🙂 If you want to have a go at making them, this is the recipe. Good luck!
1 free-range egg white
½ lemon, juice only
1 tsp peppermint flavouring
425g/15 oz icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
175g/6¼oz dark chocolate
(I also used a tiny drop of green food colouring)
1. Whisk the egg white in a bowl until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice, peppermint and icing sugar to a stiff paste.
2. Tip the peppermint mixture onto a work surface dusted liberally with icing sugar and roll out thinly.
3. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to cut out circles and place them onto a baking tray. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours, or until the mixture has set.
4. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)
5. Dip each peppermint cream into the melted chocolate and set aside on a baking tray. Chill the peppermint creams until set.