I’m trying to be super healthy at the moment, because operation wedding dress is officially on! But I did make this yummy cake for Mum’s birthday, which doesn’t count (that’s what I keep telling myself anyway!). It is a James Martin recipe from the BBC website and is really easy to make – I actually made it all in the pan and then put it straight into the tin. It is really moist and you don’t need to buy expensive honey to make it. Yum!
170g/6oz clear honey
85g/3oz light muscovado sugar
2 eggs, beaten
200g/7oz self raising flour, sieved
For the icing
55g/2oz icing sugar
1 tbsp clear honey
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 3 and butter and line the bottom of a 7in/18cm cake tin.
2. Measure the honey, butter and sugar into a large pan. Add a tablespoon of water and heat gently until melted.
3. Remove from the heat and mix in the eggs and flour.
4. Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is springy to the touch and shrinking slightly from the sides of the tin.
5. Cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
6. While the cake is still warm, make the icing by mixing the sugar and honey together with 2-3 teaspoons of hot water. Trickle over the cake in whatever design takes your fancy. Enjoy with a cuppa!